Goodreads - June to November 2015, and more!

16:22





Hello everyone!

I know, long time no see. It's really an understatement that I have been busy.

       Summer was filled up with studying. I am undergoing training in Archaeology and History of Art since September. I applied directly in Third Year of the Bachelor and was accepted (Yay!) granted I also pass all the required classes of First and Second Year needed for the Bachelor in Archaeology and History of Art (less yay!). So this summer I tried to catch up with those classes and get ahead.
At the time, it felt alright. But now that I am right into it, I must say I can get easily snowed under with the mass of work I have to achieve. After all, I got 15 classes to take, and I cannot attend 2 of them, as I have other classes at the same time. I managed to get notes for those classes, but still, lot of work. But I try not to complain, after all, I did and still do really want to study this.
      I chose to major in Archaeology for the first semester, as it is the discipline I did not study yet, but I am tempted to try History of Art for the second semester (if it is even possible! I don't know if I can change major like that. University changed so much since last time I was there) One thing that I am definitely gaining from this is the realisation of what era or medium interest me the most in History of Art. I was always interested by Antiquity and ancient mythology in Europe, but it might just have been as it is was we hear the most about here when talking about ancient History. I never noticed how much of what I enjoy comes from the 19th century. I am also getting more and more interested in sculpture. In art school, we did not really cover this medium, it was more about academic sketching and architecture.
     I also had a plan of simply gaining basic knowledge of field work in Archaeology, but now that I am learning more and seeing the wide range of possible jobs, I am wondering what I could do (in addition to my current job of Photographer). But first, passing my exams of course.

     I also had the opportunity to do a mini exhibition of my photos and goodies over a weekend. I was not expecting a lot of people, so I was well surprised to have always someone there. It was a blast, really, people were happy to be there, and interested. I was asked so many questions about my photos and practice! I also had orders, which was definitely not expected. Goodies are starting to arrive, so I am spending lot of time taking care of all different orders. It is a part of my job I do not usually do, so this is interesting, I am learning a lot from it.
I thought about creating an instagram account as well. At first it was especially to follow some accounts, but I'm tempted to post photos. But so far, I have no idea in which direction go. But if you have an account, you can let me know your username! (mine is @gazzaolano)

    I also tried over the summer to establish a regular practice of drawning, but at the moment, it is not as regular as it used to be. I still draw though! But it is not enough to improve I suppose. Time management is really a challenge at the moment. Often I end up thinking "Here it is! I finally mastered it!", and then something happens and blows all that self-confidence away. Ah well!
So yes, not a lot of time to read, write, and draw. But as far as reading goes, well it is true I don't have as much time, but I also cannot find a book piquing my interest far enough to keep reading. If you have any books recommendations, I'd be delighted to hear them! I usually read crime or science ficiton novels.

So my Goodreads report will not be much considerable.

  • Histoire de l'art by  Jean-François Favre. Quite useful when you have to cover a large part of History of art, like I had to this summer. But since it tells a bit of everything, there is only a bit of each. To begin studying on a subject, it is great, but it cannot carry you deeper. 
  • Trois oboles pour Charon by  Franck Ferric. Sisyphus defied the Gods and death. His punishment differs depending on the stories and writers, but in this book, he is condamned to come back to life through different wars until he can pay the three oboles to Charon. It was an interesting take on the myth, I was quite curious to see how Sisyphus would react to wars, cultures and religions he does not understand, as he even travels through the Middle Ages. It was entertaining and a nice change from my usual crime fiction.
  • Le siècle des possibles: 1814-1914 by Emmanuel Fureix. A study of the 19th century in France. Since I was interested by the uprising of 1832 in Paris, I thought I could read more about this century, from a political and sociological point of view. Here too, there was a bit of everything, as there is a lot to cover. 
  • Phaedo by Plato. I looked for this book for one of my courses on the death rituals in Ancient Greece. We were not in agreement as for the number of rivers in hell in Plato's theory. As he does mention hell in here, I had a look at it. That was confusing and difficult to go through, but I got my answer.
  • Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. My sister recommended it to me, and I am happy she did so. The storyline was original, the main character so refreshing. Libby is quite different from the women written in crime and thrillers books I usually come across those days. She has mental illness, love does not save her, nor does a man.The plot is surprising, the book is full of fascinating characters, all different in their own way. It was dark but so fascinating. I haven't been that into a book in a while!

Penguin Little Black Classics.
  • It was snowing butterflies by Charles Darwin. I found it difficult to read at time, Darwin had such a heavy writing. Context of his words also has to be taken in consideration at time (for example how he talks about the other civilisations he met). 





I also discovered the musical Hamilton. I don't know if any of you are interested by musicals, but if you are curious, definitely have a look!






You Might Also Like

2 commentaires